LEI NUMBER REGISTRATION APPLICATION
The LEI number registration process is simple. Just fill in the blanks in the LEI number registration application form and submit your data.
How to register the LEI number
The LEI number registration process is simple. Just follow these steps:
1. Fill in the blanks in the LEI number registration application form.
In most circumstances, the company data is automatically gathered from the Company Register database. If you apply for an LEI code for a Pension Scheme or a Trust, please upload a document (Trust deed) to verify the legal address, Trust/Scheme name and the signing authority for the entity.
2. Submit the LEI number registration application and pay with Netbanking, Bank transfer, Credit card, Razorpay or PayPal.
3. Your LEI registration data will be sent for data validation and the LEI number sent to you by e-mail.
If the LEI number registration data submitted is incorrect or the Legal Entity cannot be identified from the public databases, we will contact you to verify the information provided.
What if I am not able to provide this information?
If the Legal Entity does not have relations or cannot report them while applying for an LEI number, it will be necessary to indicate one of the following reasons:
- Natural Persons: There is no parent entity according to the definition used because the entity is controlled by a natural person or persons without any intermediate legal entity meeting the definition of accounting consolidating parent.
- Non-Consolidating: There is no parent according to the definition used because the entity is controlled by legal entities not subject to prepare consolidated financial statements.
- No Known Person: There is no parent according to the definition used in the Legal Entity Identifier Foundation because there is no known person controlling the entity (e.g., diversified shareholding).
- Legal Obstacles: Obstacles in the laws or regulations of a jurisdiction prevent providing or publishing this information. The entity can not publish a parent entity in the Global LEI number database.
- Consent Not Obtained: The consent of the parent was necessary under the applicable legal framework and the parent did not consent or could not be contacted.
- Binding Legal Commitments: Binding legal commitments (other than the laws or regulations of a jurisdiction), such as articles governing the legal entity or a contract, prevent providing or publishing this information.
- Detriment Not Excluded: The child entity has sought to consult the parent entity about the reporting of the parent information but could not confirm the absence of detriment in a way that can appropriately prevent liability risks for the child entity.
- Disclosure Detrimental: The disclosure of this information would be detrimental to the legal entity or the relevant parent. This will include reasons generally accepted by public authorities in similar circumstances, based on a declaration by the entity.
What happens if the Legal Entity is not registered?
Most of the companies or entities are registered with one or multiple registration authorities. A registration authority can be an official company registry such as
Companies Register (Ministry of Corporate Affairs)
Housing Finance Company Regulator
Tax Registry - GSTIN search
Register of National Securities Depository Limited
Central Depository Services Limited
Database of Importer Exporter Code (IEC) - Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry
ICEGATE (Indian Customs Electronic Commerce/Electronic Data Interchange (EC/EDI) Gateway)
If the entity is not registered but still needs an LEI, please upload a document when submitting the application. It can be a Trust deed, registration with the tax authorities or a contract.
Can I register an LEI number if I am not a legal representative for the company?
Yes, you can register a Legal Entity Identifier if you are not the Legal Representative of the company. However, we will contact you to sign a Letter of Authorization by the legal representative of the company. We will provide the Letter of Authorization by e-mail and you can either scan in the signed copy or take a picture with your mobile phone.
Can I register an LEI for a company registered in another country?
Yes, you can register an LEI number for a company in another country. Please fill in the LEI number registration application form as registered in the local company registry. After that, we can complete the validation process from the respective registry.
My company is owned by another company - what and when do I have to report it?
According to the GLEIF rules, legal entities are entitled to provide information about the parent and ultimate parent entity. The fact that one company owns part or all the shares of another company is not enough to make it a parent entity.
A parent entity has to be reported only if:
- Parent owns MORE THAN 50% of the child entity.
- AND the parent entity consolidates the financial results in its annual report.
If the child entity is owned by the parent but the parent does not consolidate the results then according to the GLEIF terms it is not a parent/child relationship.
What information I have to provide if the Legal Entity is owned by another company and the annual accounts are consolidated?
- Name and address of the parent entity
- First known relationship date
- Accounting period (of the last consolidated annual report)
- Proof of consolidation. Currently the only accurate proof of consolidation is the last consolidated annual report of the parent entity.
What is the difference between the parent and the ultimate parent?
Parent entity - First known parent who consolidates the financial accounts of the child entity.
Ultimate parent - The final consolidation partner for the child and parent entity.
- CompanyLEI Registerapplies for an LEI number.
- Company LEI Register is owned by the Legal Entity Identifier LTD(>50%) and it consolidates the results of LEI Register.
- Company Legal Entity Identifier LTDis owned by LEI Code LTD(>50%) and LEI Code LTD(>50%) is owned by the Ultimate LEI Code Parent Holding LTD.
Child entity - LEI Register
Direct Parent - Legal Entity Identifier LTD
Ultimate Parent - Ultimate LEI Code Parent Holding LTD
What data will be included in the LEI number records
LEI data consists of 2 levels:
LEVEL 1 data: general information about a legal entity. Answers the question of who is who?
- Legal Name
- Alternative or Previous Entity names
- Where the company has been registered
- Registration ID of the entity in the registry
- Legal form
- Status (Active, Retired, Merged, Dissolved)
- Addresses (Legal and Headquarters)
LEI registration details:
- Registration date
- Last update - when the LEI data was last updated?
- Status - Issued - Lapsed - Retired - Annuled - Pending Archival
- Next Renewal Date - when the LEI data has to be renewed again to keep the LEI active
- LEI Issuer - the LOU who is the current manager of this LEI
More information about Legal Entity Identifier Level 1 data.
LEVEL 2 data: Who Owns Whom?
Information about parent-child - ultimate parent relations. It also includes exceptions if Level 2 data is not reported.